Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Take time to smell the roses...

As we count the days that we have to get all our belongings out of the home that we once had - it struck me that no matter how stressed we are we need to take the time to smell the roses.

My little guys do not understand the urgency in our actions as we brush them out of the way to pack yet another box, or haul a bag for donations out to the garage. They "get" that we are moving - but time does not mean a thing to them at ages 4 and 5.

Trevan and Turner scurry about picking flowers and bringing them in to me proudly. "Look mama - this is a pretty flower for you - smell it!" I know that taking a few seconds out of my furious packing, bending down to accept the gift, holding it to my nose and exclaiming "Mmmm it smells so pretty!" can bring a priceless smile and sense of accomplishment to my little boys.

My first reaction is to scold them for "picking the flowers" or perhaps annoyance as they interrupt my task at hand. I quickly realize that my reaction to their act of love can mean the difference between joy and heartbreak to their tender young hearts.

I have to remind myself to stop and smell the roses - no matter how rushed I am.

So today - I did just that. In the midst of my chaos - I took time to smell the flowers picked by the little hands smudged with dirt. Looking into the crystal blue eyes and watching the huge smiles on their faces brought a joy to my heart that surpasses all understanding. I have to remember that actions do speak louder than words.

I thank the Lord for my blessings in the midst of all the challenges...

We did get served and we have until Saturday at 5:00 pm to have all our things out of the house. We will take it minute by minute - and we will get it done.

Until tomorrow.

XOXO
Janean
[janeansig.jpg]