Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 7 of my 31 Day Challenge...

Today - I am going to schedule a physical. No, I am not some sick-o that loves to go to the doctor and be peered at naked, poked and prodded then stuck with needles.
I just decided that to get a good assessment and really have a good start to a new me - this was necessary.
YOU should follow my lead and schedule one too!

Well, yesterday Trudi was not able to meet me to walk. We have re-scheduled for today. So, after I got a ton of work done I took Trevan (pictured on left) my youngest, to the park. He wanted to ride his "car" there. Boy - was I in for it! He decided to...well, kick my booty! He had me on an adventure! He zoomed his car so fast and yelled for me to "RUN". I tried keeping up and when I tired he yelled "C'Mon Mom - You can do it! Follow my lead!!!"... I had to just laugh. After literally running more than a mile - on the sidewalk - in the open grassy fieild and in the dirt, he decided we should run up and down the bleachers! I guess he took some lessons from Bob and Jillian last season on The Biggest Loser!

Later - I decided that I needed to get a bit more exercise - as if that was not enough! So I went to the gym. I was able to do 25 minutes on the treadmill and then 25 on the bike. I did some weights and then headed home. It felt good to really sweat. I know that sounds so...gross. I am really catching the fitness bug!

Today's Tidbit...
I LOVE Blackberries and Peaches! I just had fresh blackberries on my cereal today and wanted to share this recipe with you = so yummy!

LOW FAT BLACKBERRY and PEACH COBBLER
Fresh, plump peaches and big juicy blackberries from the farmers' market inspire this delicious dessert, although it's perfectly fine to use frozen peaches and blackberries. Although I have reduced the total fat content of this dessert, I like to keep a little butter in the crisp topping.

Prep Time: 20 minutes - Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 4 large fresh peaches (about 2lbs), skinned, pitted and sliced
  • 1/2 dry pint fresh blackberries
  • 1/4 cup sugar (for lower calories use Splenda)
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp lemon zest - fresh is best!
  • Topping:
  • 2/3 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp cold butter
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Arrange peaches in an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Scatter blackberries on top.

Stir sugar (or splenda) and cornstarch together and sprinkle over fruit, followed by lemon zest. Stir fruit.

In a medium bowl, combine oats, sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cut or rub in butter into the oat mixture. Add oil, then stir gently to combine.

Sprinkle topping over the fruit. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the top is slightly browned. Serve warm with a scoop of frozen non-fat yogurt.

Serves 6

Per Serving: Calories 190, Calories from Fat 43, Total Fat 4.2g (sat 1.3g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 23mg, Carbohydrate 34.8g, Fiber 3g, Protein 2.2g

I have enjoyed getting your emails! I recently had someone send me one of the fun questions email. I thought I'd ask you all a couple! Send me your answers and I'll post them!

FUN QUESTIONS...

What 3 beauty essentials can you NOT live without?

Mine are ... FACE SCRUB, Face Lotion and Chap Stick (before I go to sleep!)

What are 3 things people would be surprised to learn about you?

Mine - 1. I like Football, 2. I am afraid of Horror Films, 3. It creeps me out when people pick their toenails.

Email your answers to me at:

janeanlindner@mac.com